Wednesday, October 14, 2009

We must prepare children for their future, not our past.

IAN JUKES, LIVING ON THE FUTURE EDGE:
  • “Prepare children for their future, not our past...” Ian Jukes, a futurist, author, and provocateur spoke in Vancouver to educators.
  • He believes we, as teachers, must gain a new mindset. We must prepare children for their future, not our past. We need to re-think why kids should come to school.
  • His words are powerful to me. I need to view technological changes in education and rethink my role as a teacher. Technology is not a curriculum, but a tool used to perform tasks. Content is the process of learning, not the product of learning.
  • My role is to teach problem solving, critical thinking, and communication.
  • The most powerful technology in the classroom is the teacher. I teach children!
Kay Douglass, Teacher.Librarian, Chinook Elementary

1 comment:

  1. I think we should keep some kind of balance between the past and the future or the older technologies and the new. Working as a electronics technician for the past 50 years I have worked on tube model TV's,VCR's,Amplifiers,DVD plavers with analog and digital circuits and my brain can handle either but I have worked with other technicians and they can do one not the other . I would think that this would apply to auto mechanics,plumbers, carpenters and other trades.The way this country got so great was from children learning trades from the fathers,mothers,and grand paarents . It seems they are teaching our children too many computer skills and not balancing this with other practical skills . TOM

    ReplyDelete